Monday, November 10, 2008

Thank God for Youth Pastors

Today I got two packages. One was Ruth's new CD, Anorak, which I had ordered last week. We're getting ready to see how it sounds. Reviews have been good. The other package was from some of my dearest friends I have: David and Amy Fortner. Although the goodies in the package were excellent, it was the thought that touched me the most. Let me give a little background first, to inform you why this was so important.

My freshman year of high school, our church decided we needed a youth pastor. While we as the youth had little to do with the whole process, two couples were brought in and we were asked our opinion of the two. We favored the second couple, although the guy talked a hundred miles an hour. At the time, it didn't seem like a real big decision. In the end it turned out to be one of the biggest and best decisions any of us had ever made.

David and Amy have taught me so much, whether it be guitar, or just simple things about going off to college. I've been on three international mission trips and one national with David, one every year of high school. Those four trips have given us a chance to become so close and I learned so much from him. Not just from a work ethic standpoint, but about life in general.

David had a lot to do with me becoming interested in music. I the summer of 2005, right before my sophomore year, I was chillin' at David's house and saw his guitar sitting in the corner of his living room. I asked him, "Could you show me how to play?" He said, "Yeah, sure." So for the next few days, approximately two weeks, we went upstairs with two guitars, and he showed me a handful of chords. From there, he gave me some praise and worship songs to work on, and I moved on to learn some more chords on my own. 

Not long after, I started writing music of my own, and soon starting writing lyrics as well. From there, Mustard Seed was formed, and he was one of our largest supporters. He gave us opportunities to lead worship on Wednesday nights for the youth, chances to have shows out at the church, and even play the music for Church camp the last two years.

The last four years have been some of the best years of my life, and I definitely have David and Amy to thank for that. I know for a fact I would not be the person I am today without them, and they are honestly two of my biggest role models I have.

Having said all that, I love you David, Amy, Baylee, and Chloe.

-matthew

3:33 pm

Who I Was And Who I Am
Ruth
Album - Anorak

No comments: