Monday, November 2, 2009

Why music shouldn't be labeled "Christian"

I recently read a review on Switchfoot's new album, "Hello Hurricane." The reviewer ended the review by saying,
"...And that is where Switchfoot succeeds in becoming more than just a rock band.Because the reality is that it would be easy for an openly Christian band like Switchfoot to make their art inaccessible to someone like me. I have no doubt that when Jon Foreman says 'love,' a certain segment of his listeners hear 'faith in Jesus Christ.' But he never uses those words in these songs; he never puts up barriers between the band and those in their audience who are of other faiths, or none. In a world beset with conflicts rooted in religious differences, what could be more meaningful than a very public demonstration that it’s possible to remain true to one’s own faith without excluding anyone who might believe differently?"


This is what's it's about. I don't really know how to say what I want to say, to be honest, but I feel like this is how "Christian" artists should approach the industry. If you want people to see that you're a "Christian band," show it by your actions, not by your title. If you want to share the Gospel with the world, you gotta get it out of the 4 church walls.

I'm done ranting.

-matthew
1:57 am
Yet
Switchfoot
Album - Hello Hurricane

No comments: