Sunday, January 25, 2009

Christianity: How I Perceive It

Approximately 12 years ago, I gave my life to Jesus Christ. Though I was young, seven years old, I comprehended the difference between right and wrong, and that without His salvation that I would go to Hell. In the book of Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus tells His disciples, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." However, I feel that a lot of times people misunderstand how to really make disciples of all nations.

Too often, I see Christians attempt to convert people in a very degrading way. When Christians simply go up to a non-believer and tell them, "Hey, you're going straight to Hell. You better change your ways, or else." you are not helping anyone. A lot of times I see Christians who do not want to be friends with those who are not believers. When I hear about this, I am reminded of the people who Jesus surrounded himself with.

We are told of Matthew, the tax collector. In the days of Jesus, tax collectors were not well liked people, due to the fact that they typically overtaxed people in order to make an income of their own. For Matthew to do this to his own Jewish people was something that by today's standards would have this man in jail. Despite this fact, Jesus selected him to be one of his closest companions and follow him daily.

We are all familiar with the song, "Zacchaeus was a wee little man..." but most of us don't really know the story about Zacchaeus, either. Zacchaeus, like Matthew, was a tax collector as well. When Jesus told Zacchaeus, "I will be coming to your house today," the crowd was shocked that he would lower himself so much to dine with such a terrible man so full of sin.[1]

The example that Jesus set for us is one that we should follow: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself."[2] It is not our job to judge others, for the Bible says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."[3] Our job, as Christians, is to show love to everyone, regardless of their beliefs. When we befriend someone who is a non-believer and show them love and do not judge them, they are often more likely to respect your beliefs and listen to what you have to say.

Word.

1 - Luke 19:1-10
2 - Matthew 25:37-39
3 - Matthew 7:1

-matthew

4:57 pm


Love Is The Movement
Switchfoot
Album - Learning To Breathe

No comments: